Two days ago (23 March), I was alerted by a Tweet from Skate Foss about the impending demise of The Nation of Victoriana. A day later, the story appeared in the Alphaville Herald, along with the full text of two notecards from Victoriana’s owner and Mayor, LittleBlackDuck Lindsay.
* A recent maintenance update broke my permissions in Victoriana, and Linden Labs did nothing to fix it after repeated requests, indicating this is not only an unfixable problem (or one they don’t care about) but one that if it happens again I’m S.O.L
* Since the permissions “issue” a number of Victoriana residents have contacted me; unsure about the stability or continuity of the estate/the Linden grid, given Linden’s lacklustre efforts to resolve things
* Over my time in SecondLife I’ve also lost a large quantity of inventory during grid-related issues or maintenance updates, effectively like ‘throwing money into the furnace” as I’ve never been able to get any of it back.
* According to reports from others, I’m not alone with the inventory loss issue, and apparently not alone in the perms scenario either
* It is becoming impossible to conduct any form of business, or assist anyone here; ongoing communication problems, lag, L$ issues, grid issues
* Linden Labs is trying it’s best to improve the grid experience for people, however in the process is devaluing any money or time anyone has put into the place already; making it a poor investment opportunity and an unstable future business prospect
* Ongoing grid issues, and an uncertain future about what rules of the game Linden are going to change ‘next’, make this grid an unstable environment for anyone to conduct a large-scale project such as Victoriana, expecting it to survive intact more than a few weeks
* Linden’s apparent lack of interest in DMCA issues via copybot use means I can’t trust that if I log in tomorrow my hard work won’t be sold by someone else, and if it is, anything will be done to rectify the situation by Linden
* I have not made this decision lightly
I had only seen indirect reference to Victoriana while touring Caledon and Winterfell, and my ongoing project to record what remains of SL’s earliest days has made me even more keenly aware of the impermanence of builds and sims. So, yesterday (24 March) I went to take photographs. Today, while uploading those photos to a new online album, I realized I needed to double-check some names and locations, so I went back…
LittleBlackDuck is exporting his lovingly-crafted reproductions of genuine Victorian buildings (most, but not all, in Australia) to a stand-alone OpenSim grid in his own computer. It can be speculated that some of them, at least, will reappear on a more public grid, or be connected to one or more through a hyperport. The photos I recorded yesterday and today are being assembled. It’s too late to go see the place yourself.